Thursday, May 10, 2012

Flies


10 May 2012

Is there anything worse in this world than a fly? I’m sure there is but nothing gets on my nerves more than a dang fly. Disgusting little critters. The only thing a fly does is eat crap and bother people. Woe is poor little me for there are flies in my life!
 

Everything about flies is disgusting. Did I mention they eat crap? Here’s some facts about the fly.

The complete lifespan of a fly is approximately 45 days.

Adult females are able to start producing eggs within two days of adult life and can lay up to 500 eggs over the course of three or four days. Considering that they lay eggs near continually over the course of a month, that’s a lot of little “junior” flies!!!

Flies have sponge like mouths and do not sting or bite. They don’t actually “vomit” or regurgitate when they feed. What they do is “spit” or secrete an acidic substance on their food and then suck up the resulting slop. If you have ever been “bitten” by a fly, the “sting” you feel is actually a reaction to the flies secretion.

Flies don’t feed every time they land. They only do that when they need nutrients and when they detect the presence of nutrients and nourishment through their feet.

Flies, like all pests, spread disease. They can spread diseases like typhoid, anthrax, dysentery and cholera to name a few.  But they don’t do it while secreting on you. They spread those diseases while previously landing in manure, animal carcass or other sources of filth and then landing on you or your food.

What’s the best way to keep flies at bay? Like any other pest problem, the best thing you can do is to keep your space clean. Living in a clean and healthy environment does much to keep flies, and many other pests, away.

The sole reason we have these pests is because they do exactly what I said they do. They eat crap. It’s their job to eat crap. Without flies, we would be mired in crap by now. They feast on organic goo of all kinds and help rid our world of it. So, keep your house clean and you won’t have to worry much about these pests.

 
They do their job. Flies eat crap and bother people. Sometimes life gives you a bunch of flies. You can make yourself crazy trying to swat them, eradicate them or otherwise rid yourself of them. You can sit back and whine incessantly about having flies. Woe is me for there are flies in my life! Everyone likes to help the victim so maybe somebody will come to your aid and help you with the flies! For me, I think I’m gonna take a page from the cow’s book. Cows hang out in fields and eat hay and grass. When they have flys in their lives they continue to go about their business being cows. Occasionally swatting them with their tails or shaking their heads but flies don’t stop cows from being cows. They keep right on doing what cows do. So like a cow in the field, I will keep swatting those flies that I continue to have in my life bothering me and I will keep chewing my cud. But like the cow, I know that no matter what I do, flies will always be there , eating crap and bothering people.

Have a Blessed Day Ya’ll!

Todays “Did ya Know?” Today is National “Clean up Your Room” Day! It kind of ties right into today’s subject!! Keep your room clean or your house in order and you won’t be plagued by flies and other pests!!!! Simple as that! Today is a special day to celebrate living clean and what better way to show pride in your home than keeping it clean and healthy? What better way to show the ones you live with that you care about them than cleaning the house or cleaning your room?! Nothing says “I LUV ya” than a freshly cleaned room!!!!

 Related Links:

Some facts on Houseflies:

Texas A&M Field Guide on Houseflies:

No comments:

Post a Comment