Tuesday, February 28, 2012

So This Comedian Walks Into a Bar….


28 February 2012

I’m not a fan of Jon Stewart or Bill Maher. No particular reason. I can say that I have never really watched an entire episode of their shows or watched any of their stand-up routines. I’ve never taken the time to sit and watch and listen to what they have to say. I don’t watch the “talking heads” on the Sunday morning news shows or the daily blathers from other “serious” news programs on TV these days.

“Serious” news program analysts, pundits, seem incapable of unbiased reporting and spend way too much time casting hate on any opinion different from their own. Based on that alone, I do not watch those shows. I think shows like Stewarts “The Daily Show” or Bill Maher’s “Real Time” are at least entertaining. I’ve seen and laughed at clips from these shows. People are sure spending a lot of time talking about what they say and posting these clips all over social media. I get a kick out of how their routines are melded into the fabric of a political discussion as serious input. Will Rogers once said “People are taking the comedians seriously and the politicians as a joke” He hit the nail on the head there!!! It’s funny when we hear comedians doing their bits on politics and politicians. It’s easy to sit back and make fun of something. And that’s what gets me sometimes. It seems people are quick to form their opinions and base their facts on the word of a comedian’s routine. The usual exchange goes something like this:

Person 1: Posts a clip of a shows segment and says “I agree! I can’t believe this political party thinks like that”

Person 2: “OMG! That was so funny!! Yeah People like that are stupid!!”

It just seems to me that people are taking the work of comedians too seriously. Maybe the comedians are taking themselves too seriously. We have Bill Maher traipsing around the country telling everyone how “Conservatism is based in stupidity.”  Funny stuff but there are people out there that are going to take his bit and form a “serious” opinion because he is funny.

I don’t really have anything against comedians. They are funny and that’s what their job is, to make us laugh about what’s happening today, to bring humor to us and make us laugh. I prefer to form my own opinions on the issues of the day from news reports and available information on the internet. I tend to focus more on articles reporting facts and steer clear of editorials and opinion pieces. I feel it’s better to make up your own mind instead of listening to someone else’s simply because they sound witty or urbane.  And that is what I think about that!!!!!

Have a Blessed Day Ya’ll!

Today’s “Did Ya Know” Today is “National Public Sleeping Day” So get out there and show your support!! Go to sleep on a park bench, at your desk or in a restaurant!!! If you aren’t sleepy, you can tune into CSPAN and watch Congress sleep!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment