Friday, February 3, 2012

Super Bowl Fixin’s

3 February 2012
  
Nothing brings out the creative cooking energy in every tailgate cook like a big game. The Super Bowl is the Mecca of professional sports championship games. Everything about it is surrounded in celebration to the point that it’s almost like a holiday! The Super Bowl feasting is no less as important as the watching of the game itself!!!!

 To start things off, I’ll make my own salsa. This is a recipe I first got from a friend of mine, Karen Mohney Orf, when we were stationed in Misawa, Japan, together. I’ve adapted it somewhat as I do with most recipes I obtain. It consists of the usual tomatoes (I use canned), green pepper, onion, a can of Ro-Tel, drained slice black olives, a few cloves of garlic, a few dried Chili De Arbol peppers, jalapeno and Serrano peppers and cilantro. These are roughly chopped and seasoned with a little salt, black pepper, ground cumin and a dash of cayenne. I’ll run this through a food processor or immersion blender (boat motor) and then pour into a saucepan. I’ll cook the salsa up to a very slow boil then I’ll let simmer for about 15-20 minutes. I’ll prepare this a day ahead.

To go with the salsa, I’ll make a jalapeno popper dip. I got this one from Denise Millar Ramsey via the AllRecipes.com “What’s Cooking” Newsletter dtd 26 January 2012, and of course, I have some variations to it. We’ll take some jalapeno peppers, rough chopped and stem removed (keep the seeds);     onion and garlic, rough chopped, and run through the boat motor. Mix in with some softened cream cheese, mayonnaise. Pour into a baking dish, sprinkle with some grated parmesan cheese and bake in a 350- 375 degree oven until cooked through and cheese is browned, about 30 minutes. I’ll make this a day ahead as well.

Have you noticed I like jalapenos? To go with the Chili, I’ll be making some good jalapeno cornbread. Here I will cheat and use a bag of Martha White brand corn bread mix and just add some diced jalapeno and a bit of grated parmesan cheese. I’ll make this on Sunday.

I might throw in some “Pizzaroni’s”. Place pepperoni slices on a baking sheet, spoon grated parmesan cheese over top, not too much as you don’t want it to “heap” on the pepperoni. Place sheet under the broiler until the cheese melts and the pepperoni crisps up. Serve immediately!

For the Chili, nothing says Super Bowl to me than a big bowl of Big Daddy chili! It’s a basic good chili recipe that I developed over a long time and I feel, is very good.

1 lb. lean ground beef (90%+ lean)
1 Royal pint Guinness or the 14.9 oz. can
1 med yellow onion, diced
1 green Bell Pepper, diced
2 Jalapeno peppers, diced
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
1 15 oz. can black beans, drained
1 14.5 can beef broth
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
¼- ½ cup Chili powder
2 tsp. Cumin
Salt and black pepper to taste.

Preparation:

Use a medium to large sauce pan or stock pot. Break up ground beef and add some of the seasonings (Chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper). Brown over medium heat. As the meat is browning add a little Guinness to help it along. Be sure to add a little Guinness into the chef. Once the meat begins to brown, add the onion, Bell and Jalapeño peppers and continue browning until the Onions get transparent.

Add the diced tomatoes and black beans. Mix well and let cook for another 3 – 5 minutes, adding the remainder of the seasonings. Add a little more Guinness to the chili and to the chef using the “Some for me, some for you” method. Repeat as you see fit.

Add beef broth, tomato sauce and at least a ¼ cup of the Guinness to the pot and let simmer on medium heat for at least 30 minutes. Be sure to stir your chili often. The addition of the beer, especially Guinness, will cause the chili to stick to the bottom of your pot when cooking.

Allow chili to cook down to desired consistency and continue simmering on low heat for an additional 30 minutes. Taste for any additional Seasoning you may need.

And of course, during the game, I’ll be drinking a pint or two of Guinness. If I’m not drinking Guinness then I would most likely break out some of BBC Brewery’s “India Pale Ale” or something from the Saint Arnolds reserves. What can I say? I am a beer snob!!!! Enjoy the game everyone!

Have a Blessed day and even more Blessed weekend!!

Today’s “Did Ya Know? It is National Bubble Gum Day????  If you have kids and their school is participating, anyone who donates 50 cents or more can chew gum in school!! How about that!! It’s also celebrated at libraries and other public places with events. Just another reason to have some fun on any given day!

Today’s Related Links:

Jalapeno Popper Spread Recipe on AllRecipes.com:

Gilda’s Pepperoni Crisps. I couldn’t find the exact recipe anywhere, But, I got it from her:
 

National Bubble Gum Day:

No comments:

Post a Comment